Surf Break Map in the Sayulita and Punta de Mita Area
Our area offers a wide variety of breaks to choose from to fit your ability levels, from beginner to advanced surfers. Over 10 surf breaks to choose from, most offer mellow vibes and long waves and improve on your surfing during your vacations.
Here we describe you how these surf breaks work better with appropriate conditions, location and how to get there.
1) San Pancho
- Left hand river mouth break, sand bottom
- Short Boards only
- Works on South Swells, wind sensitive, only works after the river mouth has opened due to rains
- Not for beginners
- Get to the town of San Francisco (10 minutes North of Sayulita) go all the way down the main street till you get to the beach
- Right and Left point break and beginner sand bar
- Rock bottom on Point Break
- Best on low and mid tides
- Generally crowded
- Right in front of the town of Sayulita
- Beautiful empty beach with great car access
- Mostly closeout waves, good for beginners to ride the foam
- Best on small or no swell
9) La Bahía or The Cove
- Reef break, mostly right handers with some short lefts, good for short boards
- Works at all tides. Caution: reef very exposed at low tide
- Very exposed spot so it works on any swell direction, best on swells. Best early morning
- Access by boat from Anclote
10) El Faro or The Lighthouse
- Right hand point break, long rides, great for longboards and shortboards
- Best at low and medium tides; breaks on shallow reef.
- Works only with larger North swells (6 ft plus) and North wind
- Access by boat from El Anclote or a 20 minute hike from Anclote
- Righthand reef break, long and mellow wave, perfect for longboarding or SUPing
- Needs a pretty big and powerfull South or North Swell to break
- Hit it on low tide, reef bottom, no sand
- Right in front of the town of Punta de Mita
- Works at low tide, works on large north or south swells
- Sand and rocky, easy access
- Once in the town of Punta de Mita, follow the signs to La Quinta del Sol, this will lead you to the access path to Stinkys (parking alongside the road)
- Punchy beach break, works on short period North swells with North winds
- Mid to High tide
- Shortboard only
- 5 minute hike from La Lancha, 20 minute hike from Stinkys
14) La Lancha
- Mellow reef break. Mostly a right good for longboard, sometimes has a good left good for shortboards
- Works at all tides but at the lowest tide there are exposed rocks.
- Most consistent spot in the area, works with most swell directions
- Great beach, mellower surf breaks in the area next to main surf break
- Access from main road, across from WildMex Punta Mita Location , next to the only Gas Station in Punta de Mita.
- Reef break, mostly rights, occasional left
- Best at low tide and South Swells
- Gets easily crowded
- Access next to Palladium Hotel, turn off main road toward Palladium Hotel,at fork turn left, parking at the end. 5 minute hike to surf
- Right hand reef-point break. long rides with lots of sections.
- Best at higher tides
- Needs a big South swell to work
- Next to Veneros
- Fast beach break, with lefts and rights. Shortboards, fast rides
- Can get very shallow so it works best at mid to high tides
- Good on south swell and hurricane swell
- Access next to Rancho Banderas entrance, parking parallel to main road, 5 min hiking.